Monday, July 28, 2014

Humildad


Familia,
 
THE RUNDOWN: MY FAMILY IS THE COOLEST.
Dad, my companion is obsessed with Chinese people.  Bring her back a Chinese boyfriend please :)
Mom, you are my hero.  Thank you a million for your letter. Don't ever doubt yourself or the Lord.  
Barrett and Erin.  Way to drop that bomb.  You're having another BABY?!?!?!  Congratulations!!!  Freak, I will have another sobrino/a when I get home...  And also I just realized you are moving to Norway.  It took a few months to sink in.  You are so brave.
Isaac, FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS MI HERMANO!!  I miss you more than ever and I love you more than ever.  My heart aches for you this week because you will be headed home, but I know you have been an incredible missionary.  (to be continued next week)
Porter, I hope you enjoyed living in my room.  I miss it haha.  You're hawt and you don't look like an indian this summer.  Unless the pictures don't do it justice.
Sophie, You're hawt too.  Don't talk to boys.  I hope you had fun in the parade!!!
Grandparents Yates and Grandparents Taylor, I have received your letters in the mail and in email!  THANK YOU!!  I will reply next week!  Love you to the moon and back.
 
What a week of learning.  I am going to quote quite a bit of the talk "Beware of Pride" by Ezra Taft Benson.
 
"Most of us think of pride as self-centeredness, conceit, boastfulness, arrogance, or haughtiness.  All of these are elements of the sin, but the heart, or core, is still missing.  The central feature of pride is enmity - enmity toward God and emnity toward our fellowmen.  Enmity means "hatred toward, hostility to, or a state of opposition"  It is the power by which Satan wishes to reign over us.
 
"The proud cannot accept the authority of God giving direction to their lives.  Pride is a sin that can readily be seen in others but is rarely admitted in ourselves.  Only by pride cometh contention.  Unity is impossible for a proud people, and unless we are one we are not the Lord's.  Either we can choose to be humble or we can be compelled to be humble.  Alma said, "Blessed are they who humble themselves without being compelled to be humble." 
 
"Let us choose to be humble.  We can choose to humble ourselves by conquering enmity toward our brothers and sisters, esteeming them as ourselves, and lifting them as high or higher than we are.  We can choose to humble ourselves by receiving counsel and chastisement.  We can choose to humble ourselves by forgiving those who have offended us.  We can choose to humble ourselves by rendering selfless service. We can choose to humble ourselves by going on missions and preaching the word that can humble others.  We can choose to humble ourselves by loving God, submitting our will to His, and putting Him first in our lives.  We must yield to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, put off the prideful natural man, become a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and become as a child, submissive, meek, humble."
 
This week, through a series of different experiences in zone conference and a conflict with my companion, I have been compelled to be humble.  I had not accepted that I was in my companionship because of direction from God, given to my mission president.  I have not submitted all my will to the Lord's and loved as freely as I should.  I have not been converted in order to convert my investigators.  I can't tell my investigators to improve in Christ-like attributes when I am lacking.  Sometimes we need harsh wake up calls in order to change, improve, be humbled, refined and better servants of the Lord.  I am grateful for these opportunities to grow.  I love my Savior and my Father and I hope to better live up to the potential that They know I am capable of.
 
No Empty Chairs,
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment