Monday, August 4, 2014

Animo!


Familia,
 
THE RUNDOWN:
-I don't know how, but the men here have whistle sounds programmed into their cars.  When they pass, their cars "whistle" at us and it's pretty hilarious.
-I accidentally said a bad word in spanish.. I didn't know it until my comp said, "What did you say??  That's bad!  Where did you hear that?"  hahaha couldn't tell ya.
-We have sought out every weight scale in Coban.. and we're convinced they're all rigged.  Either way, my diet starts now.
-I HAVE ANOTHER PARASITE WOOOOO!!!!!  No, really it sucks.  But I'm taking meds and I'm on a strict diet of sandwiches and oatmeal.
-We have a street in our area that is full of bars.  There are always women sitting outside and I've always wondered why.  Maybe they are showing the men of Coban that women work there...?  I asked my comp, "Why are there always women sitting outside?"  Yeah definitely prostitutes haha.  Oh how innocent I am...
Zone Conference
-Last night a man was throwing rocks at our window and wanted to talk to us.... definitely not Romeo.  We are super careful when we leave the house now :)
 
Well family.. Isaac is going to pretend like he wants to be home for a while.  Don't take it too personally, the mission is just really special.
 
I find it all too fitting that in the Bible dictionary, when you read the name Isaac it says -He Laugheth.  If you know my brother you know he is always laughing and can make anyone laugh with ease.  If you know my brother you'll also know that he writes letters that inspire, make you laugh, cry, and ponder.  I always wonder how it's done.  Maybe one day I'll figure it out.  He doesn't want to disappoint anyone, especially his Father in Heaven.  He has always been a faithful brother and friend and an example for me, even though I've always been that annoying little sister ;)  He left with a desire to do the right and found a joy and conviction in the light of the gospel and the special experience of sharing it with others.
 
A little less than 2 years ago I was going through a rough time.  I remember writing my brother about my worries and concerns and saying "I need a missionary!"  I am so grateful for the response I got a week later.  He said, "No you don't need a missionary.  What you need is to trust in the healing power of Christ's atonement."  What neither of us may have known in that moment is that more than needing a missionary, I really needed my missionary brother.  Someone with a testimony, someone who cared and knew what I was missing, and someone who could help me see it.  Without that letter, I'm not sure I would be on my mission right now.  In that moment I began to see more clearly the strong, caring, selfless missionary he is.  He truly is an instrument in our Savior's hands -he was prepared, humble, and worthy to receive promptings and listen to the Spirit to help me with exactly what I needed.  I can only imagine the miracles he has performed in the lives of others in Mexico City because of his dilligence and worthiness in the work.  I wish I could have had divisions with him this past week to learn from him and feel his love for the people as he teaches.
 
Alma 29:9-10 is his mission scripture:
I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it.  I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.
And behold, when I see many of my bretheren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heared my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he exteded towards me.
 
I feel that this scripture represents a lot of what my brother has learned and who he has become on his mission.  He doesn't glory of himself, but in the Lord.  He finds joy in the work and his work will not stop this week.  He has the surest testimony that God hears his prayers.  He sees God's hand in all things.
 
Izee, I am so grateful for your example in my mission and in my life.  Thank you for showing me how to be a true servant of the Lord and helping me work harder to reach my potential.  You are amazing and I'm so proud of you.  ánimo!!!  Your mission does not stop here and I know you will continually be a light in my life and in the lives of all those around you.  I love you so much!
 
Fam, give him a big hug for me, give Barrett and Erin and Lily hugs for me as they leave for Norway, and take a million and a half pictures.  I'll bring tissues to internet next week, like I did today haha.
 
Nunca silla vacía
Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment